Home > 2013, Football, Irish Soccer, January 2013 > Late Equaliser Keeps Town On Course

Late Equaliser Keeps Town On Course

Saturday 12th January 2013. League of Ireland U19
Athlone Town 3-3 Limerick FC

A powerful header, in the final minute of normal time, from Ronan Morris earned Athlone Town a share of the spoils against League rivals Limerick FC in a heated affair at Lissywollen. The result maintains Towns 4 point lead over Limerick, with 3 games to play.

Along with both sides battling for top spot in the table, the fixture had the added interest of former Athlone player Tommy Barret in charge of Limerick, Val Feeney swapping sides after the senior season finished, and former CEO John O’Sullivan also making a recent Shannonside switch.

Right from the kick off Athlone looked to be cruising, with goals from Ian Sweeney and Dylan McCabe inside the opening half hour setting them on the right track. Eoin McCormack was a constant thorn in Limericks side as he ran their defence ragged along the left wing, while the central defenders were no match for Jordon Conroys pace.
However, despite having the upper hand, a five minute spell of complacency saw the visitors pull 2 goals back to ensure a nervous end to the half.

The second half started as the first ended, with Limerick pushing forward in search of a winner. With 15 minutes played in the half, almost inevitably, Val Feeney popped up to place a well struck shot past Town keeper Jamie Coyne.

As the half went on, tempers flared both on and off the pitch with every decision venomously questioned by the offending players, bench and supporters. While Coyne dealt well with everything Limerick threw at him, at the other end Athlone shaved the post and almost cracked the crossbar with efforts in a constant spell of attacking.

With just seconds of normal time remaining, Athlone forced a series of corners and were eventually rewarded when center half Ronan Morris rose highest in the box to send a header into the top corner of the net. With heated exchanges from players and management, Limerick ended the game with 10 men while Athlone manager Mickey Collins watched the large amount of injury time from the stand.

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town 3-3 Limerick FC

Ian Sweeney puts Athlone into the lead against Limerick.

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town 3-3 Limerick FC

Ronan Morris celebrates scoring a last gasp equaliser for Athlone.

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town 3-3 Limerick FC

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: