Home > 2012, Athlone Town 2012, Football, Irish Soccer, October 2012 > Athlone Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory

Athlone Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory

Saturday 13th October 2012. Airtricity League Division 1
Athlone Town 2-3 Waterford United

In a game that summed up the season, Athlone Town finished off the year with a 3-2 defeat at the hands of promotion hopefuls Waterford United on bitter cold evening at Lissywollen.

The game, scheduled for 7.45pm kick off, was delayed until 8pm and then 8.10pm as the Town suffered floodlight issues for the second home game in a row. With all eventually sorted, the start was further delayed when the referee assistant noticed a tear in the nets. When the game eventually got underway, more drama ensued when gounds man ran on to the field mid game, pitch fork in hand, to replace a divot as the 4th official looked on in a panic.

Athlone started the game brightly and were thrown a rare bit of luck when Jamie Cross saw red after a two footed lunge at Shane Dunne. Despite winning the ball, with the studs showing, referee Jim McKell had no hesitation in producing the card.

Even with the numerical advantage, Athlone just couldn’t seem to get a final break through, while at the other end Gareth Higgins making his first team debut between the posts made some fine saves to keep the game level going into the break.

With the second half came some rare Athlone optimism when Val Feeney cut in from the wing to fire a fantastic left foot strike into the net to take the lead. Ten minutes later Waterford, who fielded a mix of squad and Under 19 players, were level through Conor Coad. Their joy was short lived though as Niall Scullion was finally rewarded five minutes later with his first of the season as he rounded Robert Hughes to put Athlone in front again.

Ecstasy turned to agony in the final five minutes as Coad popped up to draw things level. Then as Athlone tried to rest the front men, Ethan Keogh came on, however instead of signalling Number 10 for Mark McGoldrick to be replaced, the 4th official accidentally put up 3 and left full Garvan Broughall left the field. As the Athlone bench looked on in amazement the 4th official checked, double checked and then rechecked the substitution slip before admitting “human error” on his part. With the personnel mix up, Shane Dunne reverted to full back and from an attack started down that side, Ben Ryan scored a last minute winner for Waterford to boost their confidence ahead of next weekends play off semi final against Longford.

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town v Waterford United

Val Feeney gets into a tangle with Conor Coad

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town v Waterford United

Athlones groudsman is escorted off the field by the 4th official and assistant referee

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town v Waterford United

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: