Home > 2012, Athlone Town 2012, Football, Irish Soccer, September 2012 > Second Half Wexican Wave Sinks Athlone

Second Half Wexican Wave Sinks Athlone

Friday 14th September 2012. Airtricity League Division 1
Athlone Town 0-3 Wexford Youths

In front of a meager 120 spectators, Athlone crashed to their 11th defeat of the season after a second half blitz from Wexford Youths saw the Ferrycarrig men earn a 3-0 win to leap frog their hosts in the League table.

Athlone were dealt a blow inside the opening half hour when Stephen Last was forced off with injury. With both sides having chances before the break, neither produced any real threat of note as the half ended level.

Just five minutes after the restart, Youths broke the deadlock when a solo run through the Athlone defence by Aidan Keenan resulted in the midfielder unleashing a powerful drive past Pat Jennings.

While both sides battled hard, neither could break down each others defence until ten minutes from time Youths got the rub of the green when a ball into the box appeared to bounce off Danny Furlong as he spun around. The deflection caught Jennings, and Furlong by the looks of things, by surprise as the ball crossed the line to double Youths advantage.

As the game came to a close Wexford rounded off their second half blitz when substutite Tom Elmes cut in from the right side of the attack to blast the ball into the top corner of the net.

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town v Wexford Youths

Former Athlone duo CJ Browne and Jamie Carr combine to block Mark McGoldrick

Click Here For Full Set From Athlone Town v Wexford Youths

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: