Home > 2012, Athlone Town 2012, Football, Irish Soccer, July 2012 > Mervue Dig Out A Win In Fahys Field

Mervue Dig Out A Win In Fahys Field

Friday 20th July 2012. Airtricity League Division 1
Mervue United 2-0 Athlone Town

Mervue United earned their first ever (League of Ireland) Fahys Field victory over Athlone Town with a 2-0 win to further dent the Midlanders promotion hopes after last weeks disappointing draw against Finn Harps.

Once again Athlone started the game with five across the midfield and a lone striker, however the side saw some personnel changes with Brian McCarthy coming back into the heart of defence while Val Feeney, Niall Scullion and Mark McGoldrick were also handed starts at the expense of Joe Woods, Jason Hughes, Mark Walsh and Mark Sherlock.

Due to their formation, Athlones chances were limited in the first half, while Mervue were restricted to a few off target efforts from distance. Niall Scullion battled tirelessly along the wing however more often than not after beating his man and whipping in a cross there was nobody on hand to trouble the Conor Gleesons goal. For the home side, Tom King and Alan Murphy were the main contributors to Mervues attacking play in a half that did little to rise the crowd.

Mark Sherlock entered the fray at the break but while the traveling support expected a switch to 4-4-2, Sherlock took up place on the left wing as McGoldrick battled alone up front.

Stephen Walsh came close to getting on the score sheet for Mervue after an hour but the defender screwed his shot wide as Pat Jennings advanced and Stephen Last challenged from the side. Next it was Mark Walsh who nearly scored for Athlone only for his header to clip off the post.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, Tom King raced down the wing and fired a low cross into the Athlone box where he found Stephen Walsh unmarked at the back post to put Mervue into the lead maing up for his earlier miss. The goal lit a fire under Athlone who finally changed to a two man attack with Sherlock going up front and Brian Gill moving to the wing.

Mark Walsh again came close to scoring for Athlone with a header but this time the ball grazed off the crossbar. With time running out Athlone started to push everyone forward, and with gaps left in the defence a counter attack left Tom King all alone in acres of space to run through on goal and put the ball past Jennings, sealing all 3 points in injury time.

Click Here For More Photos From Mervue United v Athlone Town

Mark Walsh blocks Alan Murphys advances

Click Here For More Photos From Mervue United v Athlone Town

Athlones traveling support bring a little colour, and colourful language, to Fahys Field

Click Here For More Photos From Mervue United v Athlone Town

Tom King fires the ball past Pat Jennings in injury time to secure Mervues win

Click Here For More Photos From Mervue United v Athlone Town

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: