Home > 2011, Football, Irish Soccer, May 2011 > Pats Advance To LSC Semi-Final

Pats Advance To LSC Semi-Final

Tuesday 17th May 2011. Leinster Senior Cup 1/4 Final
St Patricks Athletic 3-0 Athlone Town

St Patricks Athletic advanced to the semi final stage of the 2011 Leinster Senior Cup with an effortless win over a depleted Athlone Town side at Richmond Park.
Promotors of the competition would really want to get their act together, with little or no advertising of the game the fixture was origonally set for a 7.45pm kick-off but on Gardai advice moved back to 8pm. As the clock struck 7 however, word filtered through that the expected traffic delays in the Capital were not as bad as first expected, and so the game could go ahead at the origonal time! Luckily neither side had much support to be inconvienced by the chopping and changing.

Due to injuries, exams and work committments, Athlone travelled to Inchicore with just 14 players, while in contrast St Pats seemed to have almost 30 tracksuit clad squad members to choose from. Infact such was the gulf in numbers between the Premier and Division 1 sides, Pats had almost more coaching and backroom staff on the pitch during warm up than Athlone had players!

The game though was a chance to give some more players a run out with Scott Gaynor and Eoin Monaghan making their first competitive starts of the season. As with the Monaghan game, Bobby Tier assumed a right full position while centre half Tommy Barrett was deployed in a more forward role. Arguably the former Limerick and Shamrock Rovers player may have been better used in a more familiar defensive post.

David McMillian opened the scoring for the home side with a poweful drive and it was batton down the hatches for the rest of the half as the Athlone defence held Pats at bay up to the break.

In the second half Darren Young got another game under his belt when he replaced Roy King, the young defender went down with a hand injury during the first half, while Ian Sweeney also got a run out. Pats in contrast had a full bench and could bring in experienced midfielder Anto Murphy to steady their ship.
Athlone defended strong again but late on the legs were getting tired and Pats capatilised with two goals in quick succession from Sean Stewart and Brian Shorthall to wrap up the win.

Click Here For More Photos From St Patricks Athletic v Athlone Town

Paul Danaher muscles his way in to winning a header

Click Here For More Photos From St Patricks Athletic v Athlone Town

"On Your Own, On Your Own, On Your Own" was the cry from the small home support to the St Pats steward in charge of the empty away supporters section

Click Here For More Photos From St Patricks Athletic v Athlone Town

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: