Home > Athlone Town 2010, Football, Irish Soccer, October 2010 > Blaas Deliver Fatal Blow In Injury Time

Blaas Deliver Fatal Blow In Injury Time

Friday 22nd October 2010. Airtricity League Division 1.
Waterford United 3-2 Athlone Town

A game that started 10 minutes later than scheduled, due to a warm up injury to an official, was decided in the 3rd minute of injury time as Waterford came from behind, not once but twice, to break Town hearts and put themselves right back into the promotion race.

The delayed kick off seemed to catch the home side off guard when Ryan McEvoy pounced on a sliced clearence from Alan Carey to fire Town into the lead just 6 minutes into the game. McEvoy came close to doubling his tally when a free kick eluded everyone but unfortunately just clipped the top of the bar.
Despite the constant pressure from Waterford, their equaliser was fortuitous with Paul Murohys shot skidding under the body of Michael Schlingermann and over the line. The goal didnt seem to affect the net minder much as withing the following 10 minutes he pulled off 3 top class saves to leave the home side wondering how they were going to get back on track.

The 2nd hald started in much the same fashion as the 1st … with Andy Haran sending a cheeky lob over the head of Kevin Burns to put Athlone into the lead again. This time Town held their lead a lot longer than the 1st time with Waterford throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, until 84th minute when substitute Paul Walsh headed home from close range at the back post. While Blues fans will say it was deserved on account of the amount of attacks they had, Town fans can feel gutted as they dealt with the same attacks admirably.

A number of injuries and handbags resulted in 4 minutes being added to the clock and in the 3rd minute of them Blaa’s skipper Kevin Murry played the captains role to bundle the ball over the line and take back 3 points.

To say I was gutted is an understatement as I travelled home to end my (approx) 5444km of travel to support Athlone Town on the road and back home again.

Town scores Ryan McEvoy and Andy Haran

[To Follow]

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: